Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Kitchen Reno Part 9: Progress!

With burns, a pulled muscle in my left shoulder and a pulled muscle in what seems to be my buttocks I haven't felt like doing much but there is progress!

Burns from the heat gun.  I will not, however, be posting pictures of my butt.  You're welcome.


Ceiling is done!!


The wall above the sink and cabinets was really bad as far as the gap between the ceiling and the walls.  The trim just doesn't fit.  I don't know how they did it.  A lot of caulk I guess.  So, I went digging through our shed to see if I could find some thicker trim.  We are so lucky that the man who lived here before left us all of his scrap wood.  

I found three pieces.



But they were attached to another piece of wood and in order to make it fit I had to take it off...

  

Which resulted in my buttock injury because I was holding it down with my foot while trying to pry this off.  I finally get two of the pieces removed because I only needed two.  Then after sanding and painting the first piece I realize, yep you guessed it, it's two different pieces.


So then I spent another thirty minutes getting the piece free from the other wood.  BUT it turned out well.  I hope it doesn't look weird having different trim than the other walls but it is what it is.




Meanwhile in my hallway the drawers for the big cabinet are being painted and almost done.


Here are my beautiful counters.  That's going to take a few more days to finish sealing them.


Also, the trim is stained!!  I still have to go over a few more spots and work around the windows but it's a huge relief to have that done.


Window


I've also been working on the beadboard behind the counters.  It's been a job.  It's not for tall people.


The right side is done.  Now on to the left!


Awww, our elephant in the room.  Still a mystery as to what we're going to do with it.

Getting our cabinets ready for paint!


Speaking of cabinets this hideous thing went to the shed!  It was to the right of the stove.  If you remember I tore out the cabinet that was to the left of the stove.

My Dad knew someone who knew someone and got me these cabinets very very cheap.



They're already stained and the color matches the trim.  I'm hoping once we have the new counters in which will also be stained that it will all blend and people won't be like "She has two different types of cabinets.  Tacky."  Ha


Here's a picture of one of our counters.  We had to cut both to fit and we were both scared.  Luckily Joe is great at measuring and math.  So he figured it out.  He put tape on it to prevent splintering.  It seemed to work.



After staining and sealing I'm hoping it will turn out like this:


Look at these cuties.  They have nothing to do with the reno they're just cute!


No comments:

Post a Comment