Saturday, February 2, 2013

Kitchen Reno Part 8: Painting and THE Cabinet

So Friday I really wanted to be done painting.  That didn't quite happen but it was a good effort. I did however put another coat on the walls and except for a few places it's pretty much done.


I put yet another coat of paint on the ceiling.  This makes three plus primer.  It probably needs another coat but I'm so over painting the ceiling and getting paint on myself.

The other thing I really wanted to do was put the trim back up.  I sanded and primed it.



This is the area of the trim where the termites ate it away.

Jerks...

Luckily I have a piece of trim in the shed that I will use to patch this.  Just didn't get to it yet.

I go to hang the trim back up.  In true Shelley fashion I only labeled about half of the pieces.  Of course after hitting my thumb with the hammer, not having the right nails and then dropping half of those nails I realize it's the wrong piece.

Now it's up....

Joe comes home Friday and he's ready to get this cabinet hung.  I was so excited....well about an hour of looking for the studs and making several holes in the wall we find them!  AND.... then we didn't.  Joe drilled the holes where the cabinet would be hanging so it would cover them.  When he moved down to where we were going to install the L brackets there was not a stud there.  So right now I have little holes and no cabinet.  I'm not sure what we're doing to do about that.

We moved on to hanging the new light fixture on the ceiling.  That was also a mess because a ceiling fan use to be there and there were more wires.  They barely fit.  This also took over an hour.  But isn't it pretty?  

Sprite says, "Please stop working.  I need you to hold me."


Today (Saturday) I am worn out and pretty much feel like crap.  I had big plans for today and it didn't happen.  Here's what I did do.

This is me using the heat gun on the trim around the window.


Victoria had a friend over and I had them paint the drawers of the yet to be hung cabinet.


Girls, girls, act like you're having fun and not like I'm getting free child labor...


As I was stripping the trim around the door I start on the cabinet.  I had not intended on doing it but I here I go again!  It did come off easy though so I just kept going and going.  Why do I do this to myself?!  Now I'm going to have to do the rest.

Back to the window.  This is the last  doorway/window in the kitchen left to strip.  Praise God!  I thought at first I can strip this without taking the boards down.  Don't take them down, Shelley.

AND....I took them down.  It is easier to strip though.  The cabinets were very close and it was going to be difficult to strip the sides.  Look what I found.  Napkins stuck in there.  What the heck?  There's blown in insulation, pink insulation and there's even Great Stuff behind there but for whatever reason someone grabbed a napkin.

On the other side there was a lady bug.  Um, OK.  We're just going to call this a sign of good luck.


They were very serious about making sure the trim stayed up.  Look at all those nails!


Way back when, in case you did not know, they had pulley windows. (I know I misspelled that below but I'm too tired to fix it)  There were ropes attached to weights.

Here's what it would have looked like.

Funny when I was painting the outside we had to take a piece of siding off and I found the weight that went to the window.

Now to get to something a little more fun.  I really want cafe curtains for the window.  I love looking out and seeing our trees and the birds.  When I say cafe curtains I mean this:


NOT this:



I wish I had a sewing machine because I can't find any I like!

1 comment:

  1. have you looked on Etsy? Or maybe see if you have a sew-master friend that could whip them up... they can't be too difficult, right?

    ReplyDelete