Wednesday, August 7, 2013

My Husband's Office Make Over!

We're very fortunate that we bought a house with a huge master bedroom.  It is 720 square feet.  That being said it was an attic conversion so under the eaves are our offices.  Joe's is on the left mine is on the right and our bed is in the middle.  Our bathroom is behind that.  The only problem is it's open so I have to see his mess and he sees mine.  OK my mess is worse than his mess:


Yeah, I know it's bad.

Here's how his office looked when we moved in:
OK it's not much better than mine but he seems to think it is.  Notice the lovely gold and black wallpaper from the early 90's and carpet you would see in an actual office.  

Underneath this carpet is actually an old gym floor.  It's crazy but cool.  It's one inch thick maple.

A few months ago we took the carpet in this area up.  We couldn't take it anymore.  Johnathan helped getting the tack strips up.

And we took down some loose pieces of wallpaper. What would you call this?  Grecian/Roman scroll?


And........then his office sat for months with nothing else being done to it.  Can you blame me?  I had a kitchen to renovate.

Joe offices from home and is very dedicated to his job.  So when he had to go out of town on business for a few days I said "Kids.....I've got a special project we can do together!"  After silence then a few ughs we got to work.

Good bye you black and gold nightmare!


I'm not sure wall paper is properly applied when it comes off in whole sheets.  Lucky us though!

Our goals were:
1. take down wall paper
2. take up more of the carpet
3. paint the wall with the window
4. paint window sill and trim
5. caulk under the window
6. disassemble fence panels to use for the walls
7. organize his clothes closet to store most of his things
8. re-organize the office itself




Fitting in the last piece.  I couldn't have done this without Johnathan.  A neighbor had given me a lot of used fence panels.  Joe really liked this look.  I did this in my laundry room (that blog post coming soon) but I painted it.  Johnathan got out the circular saw, cut the top and bottoms off (some were rotted), Victoria and one of her friends took nails out.  It really was a group effort.  The ten year old helped get the carpet tacks up and carried trash downstairs.

Johnathan wanted to build a gun rack. We live in Texas what can I say?


Casualty of renovation.  Victoria stepped on a nail and it went through her shoe.  Luckily she turned out fine.
 I got a splinter in two fingers.  Boo

Then Joe came home and we surprised him!  He thought I was just going to show him that I ripped up some of the carpet.  Boy was he shocked!




Final reveal pictures!










Best part of this make over is that it cost me 7.95 for screws!  I used paint I already had, salvaged fence panels and child labor.

Let's take one last look:


3 comments:

  1. How lucky you are to have ‘his’ and ‘hers’ home offices! I hope one day to have a large, home office all my own, separate from the house, where I can set up a little craft room in addition everything I need to blog regularly. I applaud you taking down that ugly wallpaper border. Wallpaper is not my first choice for wall covering either, and I’m pretty particular about what I like and don’t like. I’ve never liked wallpaper borders though. I hope you and your kids have gotten tetanus shots! That’s one of the first things we did when we started our salvage business ‘cause we knew it would happen at some point . . . and it sure did! Splinters? I hate them almost worse than getting pricked by a nail. Lastly, I LOVE your reclaimed wood wall (of course)! It’s so pretty against your high gloss floors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we've all had tetnus shots mainly because they've all had some sort of accident where they got them in the ER. Ha

      Delete