Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Kitchen Reno Part 6: Kitchen Hell

After Sunday's death wish sanding the ceiling I was not feeling too good on Monday.  I was hoping to have more done by now but this is where I am.

OK, part of Monday and Tuesday I sanded the other walls.




This is the outer wall above the cabinets.

This was actually a little easier because I was able to just scrape this off.  This is usually evidence that somehow moisture at some point got behind there.  This was also the wall on the outside where the paint was just falling off.  Hopefully that issue is fixed now.

Of course scraping it meant it flew everywhere.


Why didn't I use a drop cloth?! Ugh!



Primer!



On to using my trusty heat gun again and stripping the wood work.


Look at that horrible paint!


Stripped!  I will have to fill the holes.  Look at all those nail holes!!  Some came from me taking it down.  The little ones are from different curtain rods over the years.

This is the doorway into the laundry/mud room.  Isn't that door attractive?  It actually looked OK when we moved in.  Then we got Sully and yeah it now looks like this.  We have the original door that went there and it will be going back up.



Soooo, what usually happens I go farther than I was planning and took the top down.  That is blown in insulation.  The laundry room use to be the porch so I'm guessing that's why there's insulation?  Not sure.  Anyway, like the other places in the house I have discovered when the insulation was blown in it blows down whatever was in the walls.

And we have lots of wasp nests.  Empty but still nasty.

Eek!!!  Dirt, leaves and wasp nests.


Stripped, sanded and back up!

My new light fixture above the stove!


Here's what the kitchen looks like right now...


Hell

Tomorrow I'm going to Ikea to get my countertops and new sink!!!  I'm so excited.  I've never been and my mom is going with me.  Considering she usually has a heart attack whenever I drive her anywhere driving for an hour should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment