Sunday, January 19, 2014

New Siding! Our Hidden Shame No More!

I don't know why this took so long but this is when I first introduced you to the back of our house in July:
Meet the back of our house

And August when we painted:

http://sanderandprayer.blogspot.com/2013/08/painting-back.html

FINALLY in October we got new siding!!

We have the 6 inch 105 wood siding.  It also comes in 8 inch which is what Home Depot and Lowe's carry.  I didn't realize at the time how hard it is to find.  Originally I had talked to a lumber yard in Dallas back in July about pricing.  The 6 inch in a 10 foot board was 11.99 in October when I was ready to buy they tell me the price went up to 16.99!  I said no thank you!

I found Craddock Lumber Company
Their price was 10.50 a board!  SCORE!


This girl got new siding!


My resourceful husband used the string from our chairs to hold the glass down:

Nicholas took this Ha

My sweet daughter helping out with the priming

I installed this myself.  I used exterior screws with a star tip.  It was fairly easy.  The first couple on the bottom I used a level then after that it was a breeze.

We added insulation, caulked under each board and primed.  When it came time to paint and I opened the container, it was a total mess.  The summer heat I think killed that paint.  It was a gummy mess at the bottom and like water on top.  No amount of stirring was going to save it.

I knew the color was called Flax and it was in a Behr paint can.  So I head out to Home Depot to buy a new gallon. The man at HD finds the color, mixes it and when he shows me the color it was this pale pale yellow. I'm of course wearing my old paint clothes and point to my shirt and say no it's supposed to be this color.  He says that doesn't help.  Dang it.  So I go home, look through all the papers that the previous owners left us and found the paint chip/card.  It was actually an Olympic color which is sold at Lowe's.  They must have wanted to use Behr and HD color matched it.  Off I went to Lowe's to get the right color!


If you're wondering what the post and rope are it is our red neck dog line.  There are too many places for our dogs to get out of our fence so my husband came up with this idea.

It stretches to this tree.  They're able to run back and forth and go potty without us worrying if they've gotten out.

We also added a new light fixture:

To re-cap, between this:

And this:

We had this:

Before:


After:

It doesn't make me cringe when I come home now.  Basically our house is finished on the outside.  Of course there will always be some sort of maintenance and eventually we would like to add a screened in back porch but for now IT'S DONE.




4 comments:

  1. The finished product looks awesome! I love old houses, yours looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I like the new sidings! They compliment the roof really well. It’s hard to be able to do that, given the unique color and texture of your roof. The yellow paneled sidings blended well with the textured brown look of the roof. Great job! :D
    Geoff Hull @ Custom Stucco Solutions

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful home you are restoring. The new siding looks great and I really like the color you picked out as well. Hopefully the rest of your restoration is coming along just as nicely as the outside is! Good luck with the rest of your restoration project, I know how tricky they can be.

    ReplyDelete