Tuesday, January 14, 2014

My journey painting the house! The First Step, On The Front

I wish I had started the blog when I began painting the house. It was in a sense for me a marathon.  Some people use marathons to prove something to themselves and to push themselves beyond what they think they can do.  Me?  I painted an entire house. 

Here is how it looked when we first saw it:


When the previous owners bought the house seven years before they knew the porch was going.  About two years before it went on the market they ripped it out, built the frame, replaced the columns with temporary 4x4s and then never finished.  In order for us to get our loan the porch had to be finished.


The day we moved in. November 30, 2011
One of the happiest days of my life!


Our first Christmas Card
(yes, that is a Thanksgiving flag.  That's what happens when you've moved and overworked.  ha)
You can see the columns better in the picture.

Honestly I was not very happy with these columns.  I was happy with the look but I thought they were poor quality.  Turns out I was right.  (more on that later)

The tops and bottoms that the columns go into (not sure what that's called) is made out of PVC and they were yellow.  I wanted to get that painted right away and I wanted the bottom enclosed.  Lucky for us the previous owners left us the lattice that they had intended to put there.

My sweet daughter helping out.



I chose Valspar Snow Cap White


Before adding the lattice I painted the bottom.

My husband did all the lattice.

It looks so much better!

They had gotten the lattice from Home Depot.

This was such a relief to get this done.  Cats were living under there!

For more on how I painted the exterior of our home please, visit these links!
The Front Peak
The Front Door
Painting The Front
The Front Part 2
June
The West Side

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE your home's architecture. Such wonderful curb appeal! Farmhouses and cottages have always been my favorite type of architecture. I never thought I'd own an old dogtrot, which I do love now also, of course. When I lived in Austin, I spent so much time on my front porch, and I loved talking with neighbors as they passed by. We have not spent much time at all on our front porch here yet. Our dogs would go nuts if we were out there without them. I want to fence the front yard and be able to open the double doors at both ends of the dogtrot on cooler days to take advantage of the 'old air conditioning'. Our dogs would love it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine that would feel awesome! My dogs are like that too. We actually have three. The other one just didn't make it in the picture. We have a jack russell mix, the poodle who's actually a chi-poo and then our big dog who we think is a labradoodle mix. We got them at Operation Kindness in Addison. The chi-poo we rescued off the side of the road! At one point our house did have a picket fence in front and I would love to do that again!

      Delete
  2. The house is such a great lookin' old girl, she just needed a makeover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The previous owners had told us that all of their friends told them they wouldn't sell it. We saw it the day after it went on the market and put in an offer a week later. They were shocked. Ha

      Delete