Thursday, January 30, 2014

Stripping and Painting the Front Door

The next thing to do to complete the front was painting the front door.

This is what it looked like the day we saw the house for the first time. Not very impressive.  The door itself was in good condition but the paint jobs through the years had done a number on it.  It was very lumpy, paint drips and then obviously it needed a second coat.  As far as I know this door and our door on the side of the house are original.


I got to work and what started out as me just doing some sanding to even things up turned into me completely stripping the door.

Don't be fooled by the smile. This is the look of "what in the hell did I get myself into but I'm going to act like I know what I'm doing?"



It took about three days.  I used stripper on all of it and used tooth picks to get into the detail work. It was also the end of June.  Hot.

After stripping and sanding here's what I had:  A beautiful door ready for it's proper paint job. (the other side is stained. I recently re-did it. More on that later)


After priming and the first coat..


After the second coat...

I was actually not thrilled how this turned out.  The side door looked good with the color:

The bullseyes looked great:


What the what what happened?


In the picture above it actually looks more salmon which it wasn't but it seemed to have a mauve tint to it.  I left it because I needed to move on to the West side of the house.

That was until today!

I found the most beautiful red when I restored the laundry room:
Laundry Room Reveal

It's Posh Red by Valspar




Remember how the door's doorknobs were ugly and the deadbolt stuck out like a sore thumb?


I used this awesome spray paint:

Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze


The view from the outside

So happy that's done!!

Now excuse me while I celebrate finding the perfect red with an adult beverage and Little Red Corvette cranked up!

For more details on my exterior painting project please visit these posts:
Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four


I joined a party at
My Romantic Home

Linking to:
Mod Vintage Life
DIY Showoff

7 comments:

  1. Hi Shelly, You know I Love the Red, You did a great job! Your door is very similar to our original, we are going to use it on our greenhouse, because it was so beat up and leaked we replaced it. Yours looks like it was well taken care of. The door hardware turned out great as well!
    Cindy@GlassSlipperRestorations.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I think being under the front porch has definitely helped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly I just read your entire blog and I truely enjoyed, you had me laghing and I could also feel your frustrations, oh and especially Joe's. My husband has difnitely cussed up a storm as well and we have had many a fight. But we have also had such a feeling of accomplishment at the end of each frustrating project.It's a labor of love, you'll get through it! We have a lot in common, alot of the same issues ( the termite damage, rotted wood, walls insulated with mud dauber nest ie.DIRT, horrible paint jobs and creative repairs) to deal with. I will continue to follow your progress. I also checked out your photography and is beautiful!!!
      Hugs
      Cindy ;)

      Delete
    2. Thank you!! Haha It's been quite the journey. I'm very thankful to have a husband who goes along with all my craziness!

      Delete
  3. It looks like it must have been a lot of work but it looks fantastic. I really love the hardware too. The shiny black has a really nice contrast to the red. I have always been so conservative with my front door but you have inspired me to think outside of the box. I really love what you have done.

    Giovanni @ Coastal Contract Hardware

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this interesting and informative article, painting with airless spray gun will be faster and more interesting!
    regards,

    paint spray gun

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete