Saturday, January 25, 2014

Painting The Front! June, you were a hot SOB

June was not my friend.  Totally my fault though because I should have started on the front in February or March.

This was one of the forecasts and actually for Texas it isn't THAT bad.


One of my FB status' was:

I have paint in my hair, a pulled muscle in my neck and shoulder, a possible hairline fracture where I got hit from the baseball and busted up knuckles and knees from working on the house. This woman is going to go take a nap. The kids are old enough to fend for themselves!

I slowly made my way around the porch.  With it being somewhat of a Victorian style home I wanted three color combinations.  I already had the yellow then went with a light green and a red.



The green that is on this door was painted by the previous owners and it was too dark for  what I wanted.

Notice all the dust and trash.  Boy was this a mess.


I wouldn't say I'm always a detail person.  Well, I would never say I'm a detail person but this porch brought it out in me.  This is my daughter helping paint the side of the trim.


This is what happens when you're working in temps that are in the hundreds.  You jump in the pool with your clothes on and on occasion with your phone in your pocket.  Still hurts...


After getting the porch walls painted I had this to deal with:


The bullseyes aren't original but they were put on sometime in the 50's or 60's.  I debated whether or not to keep them.  Then I decided to paint them red.  It turned out great.


Me in all my glory

I really had to get a grip and conquer my fear of heights.  I had to get on the roof.  There was no way around it.  I wish I could say I was like this:

But I was actually like this:

Trim and bullseyes painted!

I still had the top to contend with  but it was really really high and I had to work up some courage for that one.

The next thing to conquer was the porch ceiling.  Like with a lot of old homes the custom is to have porch ceilings painted blue.  Some say it's supposed to ward off evil spirits.  More practically it is said to fool yellow jackets and mud daubers from building nests because they think it's the sky.  For the most part it seems to work.

The following pictures are actually from the day we first looked at the house.  This will give you an idea of how bad it was.  No one could tell me when that ceiling had last been painted.  Unlike the siding which had layers upon layers of paint this seemed to only have about two.  When I touched some parts of the boards the paint just seemed to disintegrate although the wood itself was basically in excellent condition.


 God seriously smiled upon me one day in Lowe's.  I walked in and went straight to the oops section in the paint department like I always do.  Before my eyes sat two cans of blue porch paint for five dollars each.  They were two different shades so I bought a paint bucket and mixed them together.  




My FB status after:

"Porch ceiling PAINTED.  It only took a coat of primer, a coat rolled on, a coat brushed on, pulled muscles in my neck and an aching back.  But it looks so pretty."


The next step was to re-paint the porch floor.  Between the dust, paint splatters, scrapes and everything in between it was a mess.



I know it looks like Victoria is a very hard worker.  And she is.  For about 30 minutes but I'll take it.




Paint colors:

Snowcap White Valspar
Flax Olympic
Cooper Montera Valspar
Green Tea Leaves Valspar

Other posts related to painting the front of our home:

Part One

Part Two

Part Three


8 comments:

  1. Oh wow. The blue color of that beadboard is so, so pretty! I had to laugh when I saw the photo of your daughter painting with a tiny paintbrush. I do the same thing with detail work. My husband thinks I'm crazy -- it's slow and tedious I admit, but it works! Granted, he hates to paint, period. How lucky you are to be able to jump in a swimming pool in the Texas heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! When I came home with that little craft paint brush my husband was like what is this going to be used for? haha

      Delete
  2. Looks fantastic, well done and must be a great sense of accomplishment!! We're practically neighbors, I'm in Kaufman. Happened onto your blog through Home talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your house looks amazing! That was a lot of hard work but I know you are just beaming! I also love the pop of red on the bullseyes. Such a great little detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shelly, Love your old house! I feel and know your pain, my husband and I have been working on our home for 10 years now and we live in Nixon Texas. Thanks for your recent visit and I am so glad I found you as well! I will be following your blog, and plan on reading every post!
    Cindy@GlassSlipperRestorations.com

    ReplyDelete