Thursday, February 6, 2014

Building a Faux Fireplace Mantel

Before I go any further I have to give credit where credit is due.  I found this plan on one of my hero's blogs.
The amazing Anna White.
Her plan was totally my inspiration.

My faux mantel was going to be used as a photography prop with mostly children so I didn't want it too tall.  Also, when I was done using it I was going to put it in our master bedroom which is an attic conversion and has sloped walls. I had to change the measurements.

So, one, two, three faux (sorry, couldn't help it) I went shopping in my salvaged wood pile.


I had 4x4's from the old fence panels that I referred to in this post:
Laundry Room Reveal

I'm not very good with a list of cuts and measurements.  I'm a visual person and that is the aspect I'm taking in explaining this.  If you're more of a technical person please follow the link to Ana's plan.  Ha

These measurements are in length.  The entire mantel measures 44 1/2 inches tall and 45 inches across (that includes the over hang on each side)

Next is the order in which I put everything together:


You do have to drill at an angle on the back.  It is also a good idea to add some wood glue before screwing the pieces together.  The last thing to do is the backing.  I used bead board paneling.  I bought it at Home Depot and had them cut it for me.  The back measured 44 1/2 inches tall and 41 1/2 inches across.  I used little screws about every inch.

And here it is!  This was my photography background for pictures!




Again, I want to say I am not an expert.  I am not a carpenter.  This is just the way I did it.  Create at your own risk!  Haha!


Linking to these parties:
Serenity Now Blog
French Country Cottage
My Repurposed Life
Remodelaholic
Elizabeth & Co.

2 comments: