Monday, February 17, 2014

Pinterest Inspired Dog Bed

If you love Pinterest and you love dogs then you have probably seen this pin:


For her tutorial go here:

I've been wanting to try this for awhile and we needed another end table.  I happen to go into a local thrift store and they had an octagon table for 15 and I thought what the heck.


My Mom had almost this identical table in the 80's.  As my sister reminded me I pushed her into it as a kid and she cut her eye brow open.  (she still has the scar.  Sorry Kelly!)

I took the doors off and then added some spackling to the holes.

The top was in pretty bad shape with a lot of nicks and deep scratches so I used stripper and completely stripped the top.

Next I really wanted to add feet.  I thought it needed a little extra height.  I found some at Lowe's.  
Whomp whomp.  When I got home I realized they would stick out too far if I put them in the edge of the table and the edge seemed too small for the bolt on the end of the feet.  I cut pieces of 2x4 and added them to the side.

I also added some Liquid Nail

Once that dried.  I pre-drilled holes and my husband screwed in the feet.

Next up I primed.  I also stained the feet with Cabot Brown Mahogany.

I used the chalk paint recipe. (4 parts paint to 1 part spackling)
Chalk Paint, Distressing And Sealing For Dummies

I had several samples of green paint left over from previous projects.  I mixed them all together and got this color!  After two coats I lightly distressed then did two coats of polycrylic.  I also used polyurethane on the feet.

I'm not going to lie I had to bribe her with that bone to get in there.  Doesn't she look thrilled?  haha









I'm not sure if this little booger will ever actually use this but it was a fun project and now I have a new end table!

Total Cost:
Table 15
Feet 25
Cushion 12
I had all the other supplies.  I probably spent more on the feet than I should have but I really loved their shape.


For those of you who are wondering what in the heck is going on with our floor:
When we moved in the floors were covered in this office type carpeting.  I ripped it out the day we closed and about 30 minutes before my husband arrived with the U-Haul.
It is the original hardwood and it has been painted several times. (It's also like this in the kids rooms)  I eventually want to re-finish them.  For now though we're saving money to have our kitchen, dining and hallway refinished.  I may just paint over the living room since it's already painted.  It's really starting to get on my nerves!

Linking to these parties:
Dwellings
I Should Be Mopping The Floor
So Much Better With Age

3 comments:

  1. Good Post, I am a big believer in posting comments on sites to let the blog writers know that theyĆ¢€™ve added something advantageous to the world wide web large dog beds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your puppy looks cute! Too bad your floors can't just undergo a simple DIY makeover. Is your puppy causing problems on the floor carpeting, or you didn't like it? What kind of flooring are you trying to pursue? You could try a quick DIY fix by painting it over, than saving up for the a big remodel in the future. It should look as good as your puppy's end table/dog bed!

    George Bar @ Cheap Floors Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this project. Quick question - do you think you could make a dog hammock bed like this one out of DIY parts:

    http://dogbedsreviews.com/the-bambu-cross-dog-cat-hammock-review

    Very cool craft example.

    ReplyDelete