Friday, February 21, 2014

Painting the Front Peak


After painting the front in June 2012 and the West side in July 2012.  I took a break in August (if you live in Texas you know how bad the heat is in August) so I worked on the kids rooms during that time.  September rolled around and I was ready to get back on the ladder!

I couldn't stand looking at the top anymore.  I decided to, for some reason, prove I could climb a mountain in the midst of my painting/renovation marathon.  I completed this all in ONE day.




It's about 25 feet at the peak of the roof line.  But let me tell you when you're scared of heights, holding a paint brush in one hand and a can of paint in the other on a ladder, 25 feet might as well be 50 feet.

I couldn't quite get the ladder high enough. I had to lay it down, extend it then try to get it back up. I'm sure I looked ridiculous wrestling with that thing. So I started scraping the lower left side waiting for my husband to help. That was definitely a two person job. I had to hold it while my husband got on our other ladder and extend it.  Once we got it situated his great advice was "If it starts to go, jump off."  Oh OK....that sounds reasonable...

First up I had to scrape off all the loose paint.  I tried using a sander on some of it.  It was pretty scary being that high up and trying to use an orbital sander. 

I started around 9 am and finished at 9 pm. I did take a lunch break to go to Dairy Queen.  A girl needs her M&M blizzard in the midst of emotional, scared of heights stress.

So I didn't have to keep moving the ladder up and down I would scrape/sand a section, prime, scrape another section below it while the top was drying then paint.  And repeat.
It was nothing short of terrifying.


This was taken that evening when I finished.  

The next day

The view from my 25 foot mountain looks good... Down here... On the ground...

For more on how I painted the exterior of our home please take a look at these posts!

The First Step
The Front
Rotted Siding
Hot June
The West Side
The Front Door


Linking to these parties:
DIY Showoff
Serenity Now
French Country Cottage

4 comments:

  1. It looks so good! Kudos to you for doing it. I hate heights :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's definitely not something I want to do again any time soon!

      Delete
  2. Awesome job Shelly!!! been there done that, :) I had scaffolding though, still purdy scary !!! One day must be a record for sure!

    Cindy@GlassSlipperRestorations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finishing the painting job in a whole day must be a record for you. Congratulations! The result looks amazing, though working on that part was a bit risky. Good thing you’re safe! Now I remember why some people avoid this task and hire someone else instead of doing it themselves. Stay safe!

    Ervin Kennedy @ Regal Painting

    ReplyDelete