Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Fairly Healthy Chili


I absolutely LOVE this chili recipe.

I've changed it throughout the years and I think I've finally perfected it to our tastes. I realize not everyone will like this but it works for my kids.



1 can CRUSHED tomatoes
1 can kidney beans
1 pound ground beef
onions
3 bell pepper
3 to 4 jalapenos
garlic
1 cup water


I love Pictsweet's recipe helpers.  They also have green bell pepper and jalapenos.  Sometimes I use the frozen if I'm in a hurry.  But I almost always use the frozen onions.  You just can't beat the convience.

This is about the amount of onions I use. It's maybe a cup.  I would use more but my kids and husband don't really care for onions.  I make sure to cook them with my meat so they're good and soft. I season my meat with Worcester sauce and pepper.


While that is cooking I slice up my peppers and use a mini food processor.  My kids are not fans of chunks in their food. (Ha)

It's not mush it's more finely chopped.


When I'm not pressed for time I use fresh garlic if not I use the ready to use minced garlic.  Usually 2 tablespoons.

I let that cook for about five minutes stirring constantly.  I then lower the heat and add the can of tomatoes, kidney beans and one cup of water.

Then I add 4 tablespoons of chili powder.  I also add red pepper and oregano. (about a teaspoon)

I let it simmer for about 45 minutes

Then when it's done I top mine with cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment