Monday, February 10, 2014

Chalk Paint, Distressing and Sealing For Dummies


I wanted to try some chalk paint.  For the not hip on new DIY trends people, like me, there is a difference between chalk paint and chalky paint.  This is more of a chalky paint for furniture not something I want to make a chalk board out of. I had read it's super easy to use, can go over any surface and is super easy to distress.

I started looking at the boutique kinds of chalk paint and I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money on those.  Then I started seeing make your own recipes for chalk paint.  I was in!  The best post with the most practical and easiest recipe was this one:


It's basically 4 parts paint to 1 part joint compound or basically spackling.

The oops section.  God, I love it!  This is Valspar's Cornacopia




Stir until smooth.

I've been wanting to re-paint our media console for about three years now but something always came up.  I'm almost embarrassed to show these pictures. This is what three kids and nine years later looks like...

Don't judge me...


I actually got this for free when we moved into a rent house about 9 years ago.  The previous people didn't want it.  I painted it black and it did look decent once upon a time.

This is after a light sanding. And please ignore the mess to the right. Our living room is going through a bit of a transitional period.

So, after I mixed the paint, gave it a good cleaning and a sanding I went to town painting it.


After the first coat


I gave it about 4 hours and then painted again.


It could have used a third coat but I wanted the black to show through just a bit.

The next day I started with the distressing.  I used 120 grit sandpaper.  It was so easy!





What I think really helps with the distressing is starting with a black base coat.

Instead of waxing which is what a lot of people do I used Polycrylic. (Come on what girl LIKES waxing? Ha) It also comes in semi-gloss and gloss.  I thought the clear satin would mimic more of what a wax would look like.



I read this post and was convinced:
Cottage Instincts

All of the other posts I read about waxing seemed a little time consuming, somewhat complicated and kind of expensive.  Also, you do have to re-wax from time to time.

The finished product after two coats of the polycrylic:


See how the black bleeds through?  So easy!


New knobs from Hobby Lobby







Wrap Up:


  • Start with a black base, meaning a piece of furniture that's already painted black or slap a coat on before you begin and let dry
  • Use the easiest chalk paint recipe ever.  4 parts paint (my paint was a matte finish and I think that's key to the chalky look) to 1 part spakling
  • If you choose to distress use 150 to 220 grit sandpaper.  (I did it by hand)
  • Use Polycrylic NOT and I repeat NOT polyurethane that will turn your project yellow
  • Use at least 2 coats of the Polycrylic
  • I finished this project in 48 hours

Linking to These Parties!

16 comments:

  1. Ok. I am all over NOT waxing. Your cabinet turned out beautifully!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cabinet came out beautiful. Love the color. I would love for you to come and link this up to my Winter Blues Wednesday party going on right now. Hope to see you there. http://diybydesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love it, what a great color and just the perfect amount of distressing. Beautiful job. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful touch of spring time that will add to your home. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's so funny because I'm never sure about yellow (like my house) but once I paint it I'm thrilled! I also had two consecutive yellow kitchens once upon a time. Haha

      Delete
  5. I love the color you chose!
    You have me convinced to try the diy chalk paint

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so beautiful! I adore the yellow, too! I use Polycrylic as well-- wax hasn't worked well for me in the past and Polycrylic hasn't let me down yet! :)

    -Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
    www.revolutionariesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I love the polycrylic. Definitely my go to from now on!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous! I'll have to check out the paint oops section. I too am somewhat apprehensive about the chalk-y paint and the laborous waxing/wiping. Thank you so much for such a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks really good, especially considering it was a free piece 9 years ago! It has some really nice lines; I can't imagine someone not wanting it!

    Tricia
    http://designandcanines.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know right? It was originally a china cabinet. The hutch part was not attached so I separated them and the hutch is now a book case in another room.

      Delete
  9. Using my DIY chalk paint (POP) I can not use paint with primer..can you with the spackling paint?

    ReplyDelete